Resources for Sustainability: Exploring Educational Resources for Students, Teachers, and More
Introducing young, inquisitive minds to sustainability concepts, solutions, and innovation contributes to the growth of the industry, as well as many other benefits to communities.
Education is a vital piece of the puzzle in developing new projects, and fostering support and insight from a variety of community stakeholders. Team Gemini primarily focuses on educating investors and other project participants about its closed-loop project models that use industry-relevant technologies to create and maintain sustainable communities; waste is eliminated and processed into usable resources, and precious supplies of otherwise limited inputs are conserved, recycled, or otherwise improved. With the right combination of options and infrastructure, this setup can create a 100% sustainable energy and resource system.
Beyond Team Gemini’s project models, general education topics related to a variety of sustainability technologies and concepts are important in moving progress forward. To this end, the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) provides a variety of helpful lesson plans and other resources:
NREL provides a variety of educational resources to help students, teachers, and parents educate their kids about renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies, including hands-on projects and curriculum suggestions for elementary school, middle school, and high school students as well as teachers.
In this Resources for Sustainability article, we outline a selection of those resources for different grade levels. Below is a collection based on different topics.
- Energy and the Environment: Grades K-3
- Energy Conservation: Grades 3-6
- Energy Conservation, Uses, and Limits: Grades 3-6
- Fun with the Sun: Grades K-2
- Getting Energized: Grades 3-5
- Make a Solar Cooker: Grades K-2
- Solar Coloring Book: Grades K-2
- Solar Water Heating: Grades K-4
- Biogas Generator: Grades 6-8
- Ethanol What It Is And How To Make It: Grades 6-8
- Student Handbook and Activity Book: Grades 6-8
Hydrogen and Fuel Cells
Northeast Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA)
- Biogas Generator: Grades 9-12
- Teacher’s Guide to Ethanol: Grades 9-12
- Student Handbook and Activity Book: Grades 9-12
- Introduction to Renewable Energy Technology: Grades 9-12
- Renewable Energy Science Projects: Grades 9-12
- History of Solar Cells: Grades 9-12
- How Solar Cells Convert Light to Energy: Grades 9-12
- Photovoltaics in the Classroom: Grades 9-12
- Solar Energy Science Projects: Grades 9-12
Energy Institute for Teachers’ Lessons
Electrocity-On Line Game for Energy Simulation
Energy Efficiency Energy Audit
- Conducting a School Energy Audit presentation
- Exploration of Electrical Use in the Classroom
- Lesson 6: Conduct a School Energy Audit
- Energy Audit (8th Grade)
- National Energy Education Development Project Curriculum
- Lighting In the Library Teacher’s Guide
- Lighting In the Library Student Worksheets Steps 19
- Lighting In the Library Student Worksheets Steps 1022
- All About Energy Primer
- Come Home Lights Bright Ideas
- Lighting Technology Primer
- Factors Affecting Power Output by Photovoltaic Cells Lesson
- Factors Affecting Power Output by Photovoltaic Cells Design Lab Form
- Formal Lab Report
- Investigating Temperature Effects on PV Arrays Lesson
- Investigating Temperature Effects on PV Arrays Lab
Wind Measurements Ping Pong Ball
For additional lesson plans, projects, and other activities for grades K-12 on energy- and environment-related topics, visit the Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness Network.
For information on the basics of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies, visit Learning about Renewable Energy.
For a full listing of Team Gemini sustainability tools and resources, please visit our resources page at http://teamgemini.us/resources/.